[pet] Poll to identify actively used functionality in PET

Bernd Kiefer kiefer at dfki.de
Tue Jul 6 19:17:42 CEST 2010

This mail adresses all people using PET.

We (the developers of PET) are planning major code changes that include
also the removal of unused or unsupported functionality. We ask for
your kind contribution to get a better picture of which of it is still
in use and maybe needs to be supported. If you still actively use one
of the following, please let us know.

Input formats we'd like to discard:

- pic / pic_counts
- yy_counts
- smaf
- fsr

Diverse options and the functionality behind it (some of them maybe more
controversial):

-default-les=traditional  determine default les by posmapping for all
                           lexical gaps
-no-chart-man             Old style chart manipulation aka chart
                           dependencies
-no-hyper                 Disable hyper-active parsing
-no-filter                Disable automatically computed rule filter.
-key=n                    Selecting the method for determining the rule
                           argument that will be filled first
-lattice (allows combination restrictions specifying path numbers)
-server (yy -- Stephan?)

The removal of the following functionality has already been agreed
upon by a lot of people, still, you may also give feedback to that:

- MRS modes that are only supported using Lisp code from the LKB with
   ECL Modes that will still be supported are: native MRX and simple MRS
   Conversion to rmrs formats is planned to be supported by a standalone
binary
- FSPP input mode (requires ECL)

Because these are the only modules that require the inclusion of ECL,
support for ECL in PET will also be removed.

Please take the time for answering us because we don't want to
create unnecessary problems by removing important functionality.

Best,
	Bernd Kiefer

Bernd Kiefer     DFKI GmbH,  Stuhlsatzenhausweg,  D-66123 Saarbruecken
kiefer at dfki.de   +49-681/85775-5301 (phone)   +49-681/85775-5338 (fax)
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vor-
                     sitzender), Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313