[pet] [developers] PET: Transferring the cm branch to main

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Thu Jul 29 23:34:16 CEST 2010

hi bernd,

do we actually need two legacy branches?  i suspect the point in
having a separate branch available, reflecting the code base as of now
(i.e. prior to spring cleaning and refactoring), would be creating the
infrastructure for future revisions on the legacy branch, for example
back-porting critical bug fixes, if need be.  it would seem tempting
to me to restrict such legacy maintenance to a single branch, i.e. the
result of merging ‘cm’ and ‘main’ (which yields a proper union
of functionality, for all i can tell).  on this model, you could first
unify ‘cm’ and ‘main’, and we would allow users some grace
period to confirm they are happy with the result.  before actual
spring cleaning and refactoring is to be committed to the trunk, say
in late august, the unified code could be tagged as ‘legacy’ (or
even 1.0); future maintenance on this branch (or better tag, in my
view) could then be viewed as 1.0.1 and so on, vs. new development on
the trunk would work towards version 1.1 (or even 2.0, if you
prefer :-).  does this all sound plausible to you?  finally, anyone
just wanting to build a binary reflecting ‘cm’ or ‘main’ as of
today can easily do so, as these revisions remain accessible through
SVN.

all best, oe