[pet] [developers] Consolidation of PET documentation

Bernd Kiefer kiefer at dfki.de
Wed Oct 27 11:35:50 CEST 2010

Hi all,

you're right with the permission issue, and the change history, too.
What i personally don't like is the going back and forth between
sites, and my impression that having everything concerning PET in one
place is preferable, especially for people coming from the outside and
not necessary connected to DELPH-IN.

My foremost motivation of restructuring the documentation was that i
found it always hard to know what information is in the DELPH-IN wiki,
and where, also because there is so little structure (links, overview
pages, table of contents, etc.). Well, this could maybe also be added
to the current wiki.

Maybe i should comment on the individual points:

* change history: Maybe we could transfer that, too? I got a mail that
   touched that issue, but i was not sure if that would be necessary at
   all, since we're most concerned about the current version of PET,
   and, moreover, are in the process of losing dead weight anyway
* per-page access rights: i'm not sure i can administrate that on the
   trac. If it's really needed, i contact the OpenDFKI people.
* moinmoin: the trac wiki supports the same formatting, in fact, i
   could have copied the pages as they were without a single change
* crosslinking is still possible, although, for the above reasons,
   i'd like to have all PET related stuff in one place
* Accounts can be created easily, in fact, didn't we talk about
   having the DELPH-IN accounts transferred to other sites? And OpenDFKI
   provides OpenID service, which could also be interesting here. (see
   the attached mail)

So much from my side, maybe other people could comment, too.

Best,
	Bernd

On 27.10.2010 09:38, Francis Bond wrote:
> G'day,
>
> On 27 October 2010 15:20, Stephan Oepen<oe at ifi.uio.no>  wrote:
>> hi bernd,
>> thanks for putting effort into PET documentation!  i am a little concerned
>> about loosing revision history (including authorship records) when moving
>> things out of the DELPH-IN wiki, and i wonder about edit policies: at
>> present it appears i cannot change wiki content at the DFKI site, not even
>> when logged in using my TRAC credentials?
>> this is a dufficult balance, in my view: in general, i think we want to
>> enable all users to contribute to the wiki.  on the other hand, we may opt
>> to be more restrictive about select pages, where we feel some level of
>> ‘authorative’ documentation is called foe.  on the DELPH-IN wiki, we have at
>> times used per-page access control lists for this.
>>
>> so, are there technical reasons not to consolidate (user documentation) in
>> the DELPH-IN wiki instead, i wonder?
>> best wishes, oe
>
> I must admit, that given a choice I would prefer to have the
> documentation on the DELPH-In wiki
>   * I am used to the moinmoin stuff
>   * I often want to crosslink to other DELPH-IN pages
>   * more people have DELPH-IN accounts than opendfki accounts.

Bernd Kiefer     DFKI GmbH,  Stuhlsatzenhausweg,  D-66123 Saarbruecken
kiefer at dfki.de   +49-681/85775-5301 (phone)   +49-681/85775-5338 (fax)
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vor-
                     sitzender), Dr. Walter Olthoff
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313