[developers] [spr30362] bug using climxm

Andreas Fuchs afuchs at franz.com
Fri Sep 29 14:30:58 CEST 2006

Hello Berthold,

On Sep 22, 2006, at 14:50, Berthold Crysmann wrote:
> Andreas Fuchs wrote:
>> This patch outputs a bit of debug information when going through
>> the locale possibilities on application startup.
>>
>> There is one important thing to note, though: Due to an XT
>> limitation,
>> the application must set or bind excl:*locale* to the correct value
>> before the first application frame is created and the port is
>> initialized.
>>
>> Regards, Andreas.
>>
> Dear ,
>
> I have tried this new patch but, unfortunately, the behaviour has
> not changed (apart from an error message).
> This is what I did:
>
> Start clim with C.UTF-8 locale
>
> /usr/local/acl80/bclim -locale C.UTF-8

I forgot to include one warning about excl:*locale*: due to Motif
using the libc's locale definition, excl:*locale* must be bound to a
locale that both allegro cl and the libc understand. From the
behavior you reported below, it looks like the libc doesn't
understand that C.UTF-8 means it should use utf-8 encoded characters.
(that's why you get the error: allegro cl expects a utf-8 encoded
string, but gets a latin-1 one).

I tested with de_AT.UTF-8 on debian gnu/linux. If you have utf-8
locale definitions for your current locale (I'm assuming that's
de_DE), I suggest you use that and append .UTF-8 to get de_DE.UTF-8.

I'll try to come up with a test for acl&libc locale compatibility,
but for now, I hope the above will work for you.

[cut]
> Opening the relevant input widget (Parse input ...) I tried to
> enter a simple German sentence "Er schläft."
>
> Problem 1: Keyboard input of "ä" (Compose+"+a) did not work at all
> (nothing inserted). (I checked this "adding" trailing Umlauts to
> other words.)
> Problem 2: Pasting the string with the mouse (button 2) Only shows
> the characters to the left of the umlaut in the input widget and an
> error message:
>
> "
> Error: Error reading mb-vector from
>         #<EXCL:BUFFER-INPUT-SIMPLE-STREAM pos 7 @ #x6daf746a>