[developers] [spr30362] bug using climxm

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at dfki.de
Fri Sep 29 16:30:05 CEST 2006

Andreas Fuchs wrote:
> Hello Berthold,
> On Sep 22, 2006, at 14:50, Berthold Crysmann wrote:
>> Andreas Fuchs wrote:
>>> This patch outputs a bit of debug information when going through
>>> the locale possibilities on application startup.
>>> There is one important thing to note, though: Due to an XT limitation,
>>> the application must set or bind excl:*locale* to the correct value
>>> before the first application frame is created and the port is
>>> initialized.
>>> Regards, Andreas.
>> Dear ,
>> I have tried this new patch but, unfortunately, the behaviour has not 
>> changed (apart from an error message).
>> This is what I did:
>> Start clim with C.UTF-8 locale
>> /usr/local/acl80/bclim -locale C.UTF-8
> I forgot to include one warning about excl:*locale*: due to Motif 
> using the libc's locale definition, excl:*locale* must be bound to a 
> locale that both allegro cl and the libc understand. From the behavior 
> you reported below, it looks like the libc doesn't understand that 
> C.UTF-8 means it should use utf-8 encoded characters. (that's why you 
> get the error: allegro cl expects a utf-8 encoded string, but gets a 
> latin-1 one).
> I tested with de_AT.UTF-8 on debian gnu/linux. If you have utf-8 
> locale definitions for your current locale (I'm assuming that's de_DE),
Hi Andreas,

thanks for your mail.

Actually, my standard locale is en_GB.UTF-8. I have tried that now --- 
with partial success.

1. If I paste my German umlauts into the input widget with the mouse, I get:

Warning: Xt:
    Name: xmTextField
    Class: XmTextField
    Character '\344' not supported in font.  Discarded.

Still the "ä"  is  part of the input and the Umlaut shows up correctly 
in the output. In the input window, the Umlaut is not displayed.
2. If I try to insert the umlaut with the keyboard (Compose+"+a), I get 
a slightly different behaviour:

Error message is the same and the umlaut character is not displayed. It 
also gets inserted into the input string. Subsequent characters, 
however, are inserted to its left ("Er schläft" yields "Er schlftä"). It 
is possible to fool the system by entering all non-umlauts first, and  
then insert the umlaut.   

I hope that helps narrowing down the problem.

Best wishes,


> I suggest you use that and append .UTF-8 to get de_DE.UTF-8.
> I'll try to come up with a test for acl&libc locale compatibility, but 
> for now, I hope the above will work for you.
> [cut]
>> Opening the relevant input widget (Parse input ...) I tried to enter 
>> a simple German sentence "Er schläft."
>> Problem 1: Keyboard input of "ä" (Compose+"+a) did not work at all 
>> (nothing inserted). (I checked this "adding" trailing Umlauts to 
>> other words.)
>> Problem 2: Pasting the string with the mouse (button 2) Only shows 
>> the characters to the left of the umlaut in the input widget and an 
>> error message:
>> "
>> Error: Error reading mb-vector from
>>         #<EXCL:BUFFER-INPUT-SIMPLE-STREAM pos 7 @ #x6daf746a>
>> "
>> Best,
>> Berthold Crysmann
> Thanks,
> Andreas.

More information about the developers mailing list