[developers] error with fresh LKB installation on fresh Ubuntu

Peter Adolphs Peter.Adolphs at dfki.de
Tue Nov 23 13:25:51 CET 2010

On 10/05/09 02:23, Glenn Slayden wrote:
> On a new, fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 (x86) "jaunty", I set up a new LKB
> installation from the new repository at lingo-delph-in.net, following the
> new instructions at http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/LkbInstallation.
>
> After the LKB Top podium loads, attempting to load any grammar (including
> simple toy English) fails with:
>
> "Error: xm_string_get_l_to_r failed while converting xm-string resource"
>
> This message appears in the LkbTop main window area, and it occurs when
> running LKB from within emacs, or standalone. Screenshot of the error:
> http://www.glennslayden.com/webshare/lkb-error.png
>
> The Open Motif package 'libmotif3' is installed, version 2.2.3-44.

I had the same issue now with lucid. If you uninstall libmotif3 and if you've
sourced logon's dot.bashrc, the libXm.so coming with the logon distribution will
be used. Otherwise the system's libXm.so seems to be used and this seems to be
incompatible with logon.

Cheers,

Peter

--
Peter Adolphs
DFKI GmbH, Projektbuero Berlin, Alt-Moabit 91c, D-10559 Berlin

Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes