[developers] Problems parsing with ERG

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Sat May 18 23:42:58 CEST 2013

hi mostafa,

the on-line demonstrator of the ERG is built around PET
for parsing, where there are mechanisms for unknown
word handling and parse ranking unavailable in the LKB.
furthermore, the LKB by default does not apply packing
during parsing and (on top of that) is about a factor of 5
at least slower than PET.

thus, markedly lower coverage could be owed to unknown
words or resource exhaustion, or both.

given the examples you suggest, maybe you can add the
missing vocabulary to ‘lexicon.tdl’.  for packing and parse
ranking, these can in principle be enabled.  please have a
look in ‘parse.lsp’ and ‘active.lsp’; if you need help, i can
refresh my memory of that code sometime next week …

best, oe

nb: there is a lisp API to PET, but there is no way it could
be made to work on windoze easily, i fear.

On Friday, May 17, 2013, Mostafa Gomaa <mostafa.gomaa89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good day,
> I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I am having some problems
with LKB+ERG. I am using the latest version of both LKB and ERG, and there
are a lot of sentences where LKB doesn't return any parses. I have played
around with the online version of ERG and those sentences return parses.
Any ideas on what to do about this?. Also I am primarily looking for a
grammar with reasonable coverage of English, but doesn't have to be
necessarily too large like the ERG. I basically want to be able to use
sentences such as:
> "fido is a dog"
> "all dogs bark"
> "what does fido do?"
> "does fido bark?"
> "is fido a dog?".
> If anyone already knows from where I can obtain such a grammar or how to
fix the issue with the ERG, I would be extremely grateful. Also, as a
suggestion, I think it would be a very good idea to make an API for the
online version of ERG, I think it would be extremely useful and much easier
to use. Thank you all in advance.
> Regards,
> Mostafa Gomaa

+++ Universitetet i Oslo (IFI); Boks 1080 Blindern; 0316 Oslo; (+47) 2284
0125
+++    --- oe at ifi.uio.no; stephan at oepen.net; http://www.emmtee.net/oe/ ---