[developers] LOGON: error `input fix-up ambiguity: 2 outputs'

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Sat Mar 1 06:27:11 CET 2014

Hi Emily,

The message means that the translation rules (acm.mtr) produce multiple possible outputs.  This is because the pro-drop transfer rule is marked as optional (type "monotonic_omtr" as opposed to "monotonic_mtr").  I'm not sure if that was intentional or?  I tried translating eng2eng with ACE and got a related message (I assume you're using the LKB for translation - ACE issues the warning but proceeds with generation with just the first transfer result).

In general it is legal to have multiple transfer results, but when transfer is done as part of the "fixup" stage, there is no opportunity for disambiguation, so the LKB and ACE both (apparently) assume there will only be one.  If you want the ambiguity (e.g. if you want to try generating both ways), perhaps explicitly separating the transfer step from the generation step is called for.

You say that the error appears whether or not the pro-drop rule is enabled as part of the grammar or not.  That is not the case on my end (admittedly a different setup -- eng2eng instead of frr2eng, and ACE instead of LKB), so I'm not sure what to suggest there.

Good luck,
-Woodley