[developers] Lexical rules changing predicate symbols

Woodley Packard sweaglesw at sweaglesw.org
Thu Dec 31 02:28:21 CET 2015

Even if it’s in some sense non-monotonic, it’s not clear that that’s a terrible thing, strictly in the context of lexical rules.  The main thing I know of that's at stake with monotonicity is how to initialize the generator chart, and I’d think certain types of non-monotonic operations constrained to "the lexicon" (broadly interpreted) could probably be accomodated by that machinery.  Maybe there’s something more at stake that doesn’t immediately come to mind.

However, I don’t see that the class of rules Ann alluded to has to be monotonic.  For example, the lexicon could be underspecified for POS or sense, and lexical rules could specialize that.

-Woodley