[developers] Detecting quantifiers in *MRS

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 1 02:56:38 CET 2016

(This discussion was started on the "predicate naming in MRS" thread.)

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 11:39 AM Ann Copestake <aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> quantifiers are treated specially in the MRS Lisp code and that actually
> predates the tripartite structure.  But e.g., my scoping code does not rely
> on the _q_rel but uses the presence of a feature which is specifiable by
> the grammar writer and defaults to BODY.   Or a grammar writer can define a
> list of quantifiers.  Incidentally, you can check stuff like this by
> looking at the mrsglobals.lisp file, which has some documentation.

Checking for POS=="q" did seem fragile to me, especially because of the
gpreds-don't-officially-have-pos issue. But I'm not certain that these
solutions are much better, from my point of view; namely, pyDelphin needs
to be able to detect the quantifiers in a *MRS without knowing anything
about the grammar. Anyway, let's iterate some ways to detect quantifiers:

1. Check for a POS of "q"

This is merely conventional and not a formal part of *MRS, but seems to be
a well-respected convention.

2. Look for a scope feature (e.g. BODY)

Treating BODY as the conventional scope feature is about the same as (1),
but to be accurate more generally it requires per-grammar configuration
(e.g., parsing grammar files like mrsglobals.lisp). Also, DMRS doesn't use
BODY, but instead RSTR, to indicate quantifier relationships (is RSTR thus
a better choice for the scope feature?).

3. Check a list of quantifiers (e.g. in a SEM-I file)

This isn't so bad, but then there's a burden on the grammar developers to
keep their SEM-I files up-to-date. Also, those files would ideally be
distributed with, e.g., a deepbank, separate from the grammar.

4. Look at the structure: in MRS, a quantifier has an HCONS relation that
selects a label shared by EPs where the ARG0 of one EP from that set is the
bound variable of the quantifier. In DMRS, a quantifier has a RSTR/H link
to the quantifiee.

This seems the most reliable in the absence of per-grammar configurations,
but is relatively expensive to compute.

In general, I see the requirement for per-grammar configurations in order
to analyze the semantic output as a barrier-to-entry for non-DELPH-INites
(or for anyone, really, if they just want to do stuff with the semantics).
For this reason I somewhat disprefer (2) and (3), even if they are better
solutions.

I guess my question is this: would checking for the RSTR feature be a more
reliable heuristic for detecting quantifiers? If grammars consistently use
it always and only for quantifiers, then it seems a better choice than BODY.