[developers] Tests for scopal v. non-scopal arguments

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Mon Oct 17 21:43:48 CEST 2016

Dear all,

Following a conversation with Dan and Stephan, I'm trying to find tests
to distinguish scopal v. non-scopal adverbs.  We thought that "probably"
and "quickly" constitute clear cases of each type ("Every student probably
left" / "Every student quickly left") but we weren't sure how to classify
"already" and "usually", and didn't know what tests to apply.

I've tried poking around in Google scholar, but am finding myself stymied
by the fact that people tend to use the word "scope" to describe simple
functor-argument relations (especially when it comes to adverbs, it seems),
and so I thought I'd try asking on-list.   Does anyone know of relevant
work on this question?

Thanks,
Emily

--