[developers] Difference between neg_rel/modifiers and modals

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Wed May 10 02:13:02 CEST 2017

Dear all,

I'm curious about the different in analysis between neg_rel and (other)
scopal adverbial
modifiers on the one hand and modals on the other in the treatment of the

In (1) and (2), the INDEX of the whole MRS points to the ARG0 of
_sleep_v_rel:

(1) Kim doesn't sleep.
(2) Kim probably sleeps.

... where in (3) and (4) it points to the ARG0 of _can_v_rel and
_would_v_rel respectively:

(3) Kim can sleep.
(4) Kim would sleep.

I'm wondering what difference we intend to model here.  (This question
comes up now
because we're looking at negation in my grammar engineering class, and the
out-of-the-box
analysis for languages which express negation with an auxiliary has neg_rel
falling
in the latter class.)

Thanks,
Emily