[developers] Difference between neg_rel/modifiers and modals

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 10 11:11:17 CEST 2017

I think the idea is to represent the contrast between:

1   We could unexpectedly close the window.

either ability to close or actual closure is unexpected

2   We did not unexpectedly close the window.

only the closure (if it had happened) would be unexpected.

I don't think this is actually the best analysis.  For instance, for me,

3   Unexpectedly we did not close the window.

has another reading, which we are not capturing in MRS.  Claudia
Maiernborn would (perhaps) treat this as a sentential situation rather
than an event modification and it may be that analysis is also available
for 1 instead of the modal modification analysis.

I'm afraid I don't have time to discuss this properly at the moment,
though.  I feel such a discussion has taken place, but don't remember
the venue.

All best,

Ann