[developers] Difference between neg_rel/modifiers and modals

Guy Emerson gete2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 17 03:08:56 CEST 2017

So, if I've understood correctly:

- using a scopal modifier for negation only leaves one variable for
non-scopal modifiers
- using a modal for negation would allow non-scopal modifiers to take
either the main verb's variable, or the modal's variable

But then, what about "Kim didn't speak for a long time", which I think can
have two readings:

1. Kim spoke for only a short time
2. Kim was silent for a long time

It looks like the ERG just gets the first reading.