[developers] Grammar versioning and release strategies

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at uw.edu
Sat Sep 16 01:44:51 CEST 2017

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Stephan Oepen <oe at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> hi mike,
>
> > We're wondering if anyone has good strategies (implemented in software,
> > described in documentation, or otherwise) for ensuring accurate versions?
>
> in the days of hosting the ERG in CVS, we had a so-called commit hook
> to force-update the revision on ‘Version.lisp’ whenever any of the
> grammar files were changed.  this mechanism got lost when migrating to
> SVN, but i it imagine should not be hard to re-instante.  i am tempted
> to look into that for the ERG before too long, but need to finalize a
> manuscript first :-)
>
> cheers, oe

Thanks! I've actually implemented one (
https://github.com/delph-in/jacy/tree/develop/utils/git-hooks), but it must
be installed by the user each time they clone (i.e. checkout) the
repository, so we're afraid it wouldn't be reliable. Maybe CVS hooks could
be configured to work automatically after checkout out the repo? A
server-side hook could refuse a bad commit, but alas we can't install
server-side scripts on GitHub (a downside to not hosting your repository on
your own servers).

If the process is currently manual, does the ERG have a release checklist
or something to make sure some steps are not forgotten?

--
Michael Wayne Goodman
Ph.D. Candidate, UW Linguistics