[developers] "Newbie" question

Antske antske at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 15:38:36 CET 2017

Hi Bernd,

This might help: gCLIMB is a metagrammar: it can be used to generate
grammars, but is not a grammar itself.
It is build on top of the LinGO Grammar Matrix Customization tool:
http://moin.delph-in.net/MatrixDocTop

The code takes a so-called 'choices file' as input and outputs a grammar.
You can find choices files for creating grammars with gCLIMB in the folder
choices/ in antske-germanic-development/
Some have abstract inflection, some use fully inflected words: I have not
created versions that make use of an external morphology, but this can be
done as well if you adapt the choices files appropriately.

You can create a grammar by running (for instance):

python matrix.py customize choices/Infl-ger-basic-inflected

Where Infl-ger-basic-inflected is a possible choices file you can use as
input. There should be choices files for more advanced grammars in the
repository.

Unfortunately I have not been able to fix a bug in the code I was recently
made aware of (I hope to look at this during the break), so you might be
better of checking out an earlier version of gCLIMB: r26689

Please do keep me posted and contact me if you have questions. I'm planning
to reinstall the DELPH-IN environment next week so I can respond more
quickly to information about bug fixes.

Hope this helps!

Antske

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Bernd Kiefer <Bernd.Kiefer at dfki.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i'm a bit ashamed i have to ask this, but after all these years i
> feel like complete newbie again, trying to work with the gClimb that
> Antske kindly provided me with, but failing miserably.
>
> So, my question is: Is there some "instructions for dummies" page or
> document that could help me get at least one sentence parsed with
> whatever system available?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bernd

> Bernd Kiefer     DFKI GmbH,  Stuhlsatzenhausweg,  D-66123 Saarbruecken
> kiefer at dfki.de   +49-681/85775-5301 (phone)   +49-681/85775-5338 (fax)
> Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Kuenstliche Intelligenz GmbH
> Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=Trippstadter+Strasse+122,+D-67663+Kaiserslautern,+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>
> Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vor-
>                     sitzender), Dr. Walter Olthoff
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
> Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313

Computational Lexicology & Terminology Lab (CLTL)
Web & Media Group
The Network Institute, VU University Amsterdam

De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV  Amsterdam, The Netherlands