[developers] Help

Berthold Crysmann berthold.crysmann at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 16:30:05 CET 2018

Dear Samia,

my paper on reduplication (including infixation) just came out a few
months ago in morphology. As for infixation, you will see that it is a
matter of distance. If this is about root and pattern morphology, you
may consider some sort of autosegmental representation. Look at Bird and
Klein 1994 for a theoretical approach, and at my Hausa tone paper
(Journal of Language Modelling 2015) for how these things can be done
with LKB and friends. Are you using vocalised or unvocalised Arabic? If
you translate some of the input into feature structures, you may have an
easier time. If you operate with autosegmental structures you will
certainly reduce distance. As far as I remember root have between 3 and
4 consonants, so the distance from the edge is maximally 2. For
autosegmental approaches to work, you'd need the preprocessing machinery
offered by pet and ace.

Why don't you post some example of what exactly you have in mind.

Cheers,

Berthold