[developers] LOGON (?) prevents launching GUI apps from bash

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at uw.edu
Mon Mar 12 04:57:01 CET 2018

Hi all,

This may be a very specific problem to my environment, but I'm asking here
in case anyone has any ideas.

I'm running Antergos Linux (which is basically Arch Linux, both of which
are very bleeding-edge distros) and after a recent update I was no longer
able to launch emacs (or other GUI apps) from the command line:

    $ emacs
    emacs: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxcb-shm.so.0: undefined symbol:
xcb_send_request_with_fds

I tried commenting out the LOGON-loading-lines in .bashrc, as one does when
things break for no obvious reason, and it worked again. Does anyone know
of any calls that would use libxcb (or xcb-proto, libxfont, or other
dependencies of libxcb) that might cause the error I see? It was updated
recently, which may have broke something (
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2018-March/011091.html).

I also tried `svn up` on LOGON to see if there were any corresponding
updates, but I'm still unable to get a full checkout for a different reason
(http://lists.delph-in.net/archives/developers/2018/002688.html).

I'm able to run GUI applications, like emacs, if the LOGON lines in .bashrc
are commented out or if I start it outside of a terminal, so I'm not
completely stuck, but I would appreciate any help in resolving the issue
above.

Thanks

--
Michael Wayne Goodman