[developers] LOGON (?) prevents launching GUI apps from bash

Michael Wayne Goodman goodmami at uw.edu
Fri Apr 6 20:59:55 CEST 2018

Running a bleeding-edge distro turned out to be a bit too edgy, or too
bloody?, so I've moved to Pop!_OS (a variant of Ubuntu that is very nice,
except for the name). While I'll miss having the latest version of Gnome
and other packages, I'm happy to report that my previous problem seems to
be resolved.

I realized this is likely caused by our old friend, LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
because the LOGON distribution has its own version of libxcb. So something
changed WRT the symbol 'xcb_send_request_with_fds' in the latest version of
libxcb or its dependencies and the LOGON version will become incompatible.

And it's not just us who are (or will be) affected. Google turned up this
related issue: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/4816

--
Michael Wayne Goodman
Ph.D., UW Linguistics