[developers] doc-strings in TDL for DELPH-IN

Dan Flickinger danf at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 7 08:22:45 CEST 2018

Hi Mike (and parser developers),

Of the two choices that you suggest, Mike, I would favor the second, which if I understand you right would minimize disruption and enable us to adopt consistent conventions about where docstrings go even if the implementation would allow more flexibility.  I am content with having one docstring per definition.

We would all be grateful if the following four parallel actions by developers would happen soon:

(1) Bernd checks to see if any changes are needed in PET to satisfy the emerging proposal.  I suspect that some adjustments may be needed in order to support docstrings on type addendum definitions, including concatenation if there was already a docstring provided in the original type definition.

(2) John, who has already had a look at the LKB patch for triple quote docstrings that I added a while ago to the trunk erg/lkb/patches.lsp, improves on that code as needed to support concatenation and type addenda.

(3) Woodley adapts ACE to accommodate triple quotes for docstrings (in addition to or in place of the current one (double) quote strings), and to support concatenation and type addenda.

(4) Glenn enables support for docstrings in agree.

I will be happy to convert the trunk ERG's existing docstrings to fit the emergent specification as soon as the parsers are all suitably improved, and selfishly hope it will happen quickly so this won't hold up getting the 2018 ERG version out.

 Dan