[developers] EDM implementations

goodman.m.w at gmail.com goodman.m.w at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 10:33:54 CET 2020

Hello developers,

Recently I wanted to try out Elementary Dependency Match (EDM) but I did
not find an easy way to do it. I saw lisp code in the LKB's repository and
Bec's Perl code, but I'm not sure how to call the former from the command
line and the latter seems outdated (I don't see the "export" command
required by its instructions).

The Dridan & Oepen, 2011 algorithm was simple enough so I though I'd
implement it on top of PyDelphin. The result is here:
https://github.com/delph-in/delphin.edm. It requires the latest version of
PyDelphin (v1.2.0). It works with MRS, EDS, and DMRS, and it reads text
files or [incr tsdb()] profiles.

When I nearly had my version working I found that Stephan et al.'s mtool (
https://github.com/cfmrp/mtool) also had an implementation of EDM, so I
used that to compare with my outputs (as I couldn't get the previous
implementations to work). In this process I think I found some differences
from Dridan & Oepen, 2011's description, and this email is to confirm those
findings. Namely, that mtool's (and now my) implementation do the following:

* CARGs are treated as property triples ("class 3 information"). Previously
they were combined with the predicate name. This change means that
predicates like 'named' will match even if their CARGs don't and the CARGs
are a separate thing that needs to be matched.

* The identification of the graph's TOP counts as a triple.

One difference between mtool and delphin.edm is that mtool does not count
"variable" properties from EDS, but that's just because its EDS parser does
not yet handle them while PyDelphin's does.

Can anyone familiar with EDM confirm the above? Or can anyone explain how
to call the Perl or LKB code so I can compare?

--
-Michael Wayne Goodman