[developers] www script in the logon distribution

goodman.m.w at gmail.com goodman.m.w at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 05:02:10 CEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 4:09 AM Alexandre Rademaker <arademaker at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 3 Jul 2020, at 11:47, goodman.m.w at gmail.com wrote:
> > * It is described as being for macOS, but very little actually looks
> macOS-specific. Would it be appropriate to describe it in more general
> terms in case someone wants to run it from some other platform?
>
> Indeed, we can now take this as a solution for many more situations than
> those envisioned by http://moin.delph-in.net/LkbMacintosh. I have added a
> better introduction to the README of the repo. Comments are welcome. I have
> also added links in http://moin.delph-in.net/ToolsTop.
>
> > * It is called docker-logon, but I don't see that it gets any of the
> LOGON distribution. Maybe it should be renamed?
>
> I renamed it to https://github.com/own-pt/docker-delphin.

Re macOS and LOGON, that looks better, although some of the prose further
down the README still makes references to these two things. It might be
good if you could group these into sections and/or clarify the additional
steps (e.g., "The LOGON distribution is not included but this container is
compatible with its requirements. You can install LOGON by doing ...").

> > * It looks like you've included web.c from FFTB. The FFTB project is
> under the MIT license, so you'll need to include its LICENSE file as well.
> >

> This is important. Thank you for reminding me about license. I have added
> a MIT license and in the readme I also add a notice about the license of
> the tools.

I think what you added is sufficient.

> Regarding the web.c copy, I am not very happy with the current solution. I
> can see the following alternatives:
>
> 1. Having a copy of fftb svn repo in a git repository under the DELPH-IN
> organization. We could than use it to replicate Woodley changes in the SVN
> official repo, track issues, and we could also have branches with changes
> like the one I proposed in the web.c.

I have also at times wanted a bug tracker for Woodley's tools, and the
license doesn't prevent us from creating such a mirror, but I don't recall
ever asking Woodley his opinion about this as he seems content with the
current setup. He's responsive when I email patches to his code, and
there's a bug tracker of sorts in the "wishlist" wikis (e.g.,
http://moin.delph-in.net/FftbWishlist). Since your version of web.c only
makes a minimal one-line change, perhaps we can just provide Woodley a
patch for adding a --bind option so you can specify the address or 0?

2. Use a patch file instead of a copy of the whole web.c, a little bit more
> complicate and I am not sure how safe it would be.
>
> 3. Have a script to change the file during the docker image building,
> somehow similar to the previous option.

These sound brittle; at least, you'd have to make sure they keep in sync
with the current version. If we can't get a patch for a custom bind address
added into FFTB, then for this solution it would be best to pin the SVN
version of FFTB in the docker file so the patch will apply cleanly.

--
-Michael Wayne Goodman