[itsdb] Problem browsing Redwoods annotations

Stephan Oepen oe at csli.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jan 20 21:27:23 CET 2007

hi tom,

> Using ITSDB, I think the right way to browse the RMRS representations
> attached to items in the Redwoods corpus is to select Annotate from
> the Trees menu.  This worked rather slowly the first time I tried it,
> but ever since it hasn't worked at all.  A blank "tree annotation"
> window appears, but the progress bar stays at 0% and the mouse pointer
> stays "busy" indefinitely (I left it overnight and there was no
> progress).  I'm trying to view the VM6 section of the Redwoods corpus,
> from 13th Nov 2004 (I downloaded it from
> http://redwoods.stanford.edu/ftp/5th/).  Can anybody suggest anything
> to help?

it may be legitimate for the process you describe to be somewhat slow,
as the Redwoods [incr tsdb()] actually do not record MRSs.  rather what
happens when you invoke `Trees | Annotate' is [incr tsdb()] rebuilding
all the derivations recorded in the profile, in order to re-create the
feature structure of each analysis, and then read off its MRS.  thus,
for items with hundres or even thousands of analyses there is a large
number of unifications to be executed, requiring lots of memory.

but still, you should of course eventually get to see somthing, and it
should not take overnight :-).

could you try the following:

  - confirm you have current versions of the LKB and [incr tsdb()].
  - make sure you have the correct version of the ERG loaded, i.e. the
    one against which your Redwoods version was built, i.e. the one in
    the Redwoods download directory (Jun-04 for the 5th growth).
  - after invoking `Trees | Annotate', please email me all messages in
    the *common-lisp* buffer, plus the following two files

    /tmp/tsdb.debug.tommy
    /tmp/podium.debug.tommy

so far, i have no idea what might be going wrong for you (especially if
the process actually worked once), but we should be able to work things
out.

--- if what you are actually interested in is the set of MRSs for each
preferred reading in the Redwoods treebank, there should be better ways
of getting at those, viz. a batch export into a set of ASCII files.  it
might just work setting `Trees | Switches | Thinning Export' (to only
include preferred parses in the output) and run `Trees | Export'.  but
ordinarily we would run this procedure from a script; see

  http://wiki.delph-in.net/moin/RedwoodsTop

for some discussion.  admittedly, i have not tried that script on the
5th Growth in several years, so please report if there are problems!

                                                          best  -  oe