[matrix] Pronoun Relations

Antonio Branco Antonio.Branco at di.fc.ul.pt
Fri Feb 2 12:32:30 CET 2007

matrix-request at emmtee.net wrote:

> Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:22:29 +0000
> From: Ann Copestake <Ann.Copestake at cl.cam.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: [matrix] Pronoun Relations
> To: "Scott Drellishak" <sfd at u.washington.edu>
> Cc: matrix at delph-in.net

> we talked about this in Norway.  It is inconsistent with supporting any
> standard approach to anaphora resolution, which is something we have to do.
> if you want to make this change, therefore, you have to come up with an
> algorithm for anaphora resolution which will work when there are no overt
> pronouns to resolve.

Agree with the view expressed by Ann and Emily that the question
raised by Scott asks to be dealt with in a more general setting
that addresses the issue of anaphora consistently.

But it is worth keeping in mind that the expensive procedure of
anaphora resolution (with sub-optimal accuracy given current methods)
may not be needed in most cases. Instead of trying to determine
what is the antecedent of the anaphoric expression at stake
(phonetically overt or not), we may only need to provide a proper
characterization of its anaphoric capacity (i.e. of the set of its admissible
antecedents, i.e its anaphoric type: short-distance reflexive,
pronoun, etc): in many cases just translating it into an anaphor of
the target language with identical anaphoric capacity will do the job.

--Ant. Branco