[matrix] Pronoun Relations

Ann Copestake Ann.Copestake at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 5 17:08:01 CET 2007

Antonio.Branco at di.fc.ul.pt said:
> But it is worth keeping in mind that the expensive procedure of anaphora
> resolution (with sub-optimal accuracy given current methods) may not be
> needed in most cases. Instead of trying to determine what is the antecedent
> of the anaphoric expression at stake (phonetically overt or not), we may only
> need to provide a proper characterization of its anaphoric capacity (i.e. of
> the set of its admissible antecedents, i.e its anaphoric type: short-distance
> reflexive, pronoun, etc): in many cases just translating it into an anaphor
> of the target language with identical anaphoric capacity will do the job.

I completely agree with this - we want to be able to leave distinctions
underspecified.   But for some of the projects we're involved in, we need to
be able to resolve and having to do this by going back to the parse tree would
be very awkward, especially in the RMRS approach, where we're dealing with
multiple different sources of the RMRS.