[matrix] problems with some linguistic issues

Altaf Mahmud altaf.mahmud at gmail.com
Sun May 20 16:07:44 CEST 2007

Dear All:

As I am working with free word ordered 'Bangla' language, I need to know
some linguistic issues regarding matrix customization script -

1. In Bangla, a transitive or ditransitive verb can take another
'non-finite-verb' as its complements which could be corresponding to PP
complement in English. For example a sentence: "naafid-ke jete balbe"

 "Naafid-acc
to-go tell"
                                                                        "Tell
Naafid to go"

For this example, the ditransitive verb 'balbe' takes a verbal complement
which is in non-finite form 'jete', while in English the ditransitive verb
takes a PP complement 'to go'. But in the matrix customization script, the
transitive verb can only takes NP or PP as complements. Do I need to include
seperate rules for transitive verbs to take non-finite verbs as its
complements?

2. As for english, modal verb 'can' is called the subject raising auxiliary.
'Bangla' has a auxiliary 'hay', but this auxiliary doesn't raise the subject
just like English. For example: "naafid-ke balte hay"
                                                         "Naafid-acc to-tell
be"
                                                         "Naafid has to tell
/ Naafid has to be told"

This example shows that: there could be two interpretations for the same
sentence (Naafid could be a 'subject' or 'object', regardless of the 'acc'
case marker). Actually, in 'Bangla' the actual interpretation is
disambiguated by the context. But, if there is any other main verb, instead
of that auxiliary, there will be no ambiguities because the noun 'Naafid'
will be an object (accusative).
For example: "naafid-ke balte jaay"
                    "Naafid-acc to-tell go"
                    "(Somebody) goes to tell Naafid"

Here, a finite main verb 'jaay' is used instead of auxiliary 'hay'. The
point here is that, when auxliary 'hay' is used, the NP in that sentence
'could be' a subject while ignoring the context, not 'must be' (because in
English, auxiliary 'can' ensures a subject to be exist in the sentence).
>From this point of view, can I select 'hay' as a "subject raising auxiliary"
in the matrix customization script?

3. Why "neg-add-lr" rule used for? For a testing purpose, I have downloaded
a matrix for free word order and I tried to parse some test sentences. When
I tried to parse the sentence "naafid maare" (Naafid beats), it couldn't
parse. As I saw from the parse chart: the verb 'maare' (beats) goes to the
rule 'neg-add-lr', but that type didn't participate into some of the root
nodes (such as: subj-head, head-comp) . For the convenience, I have attached
a copy of the file 'choices'.

Thank you.

********************************* choices

section=language