[developers] on-line demo / simple sentence

Ann Copestake aac10 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 9 20:34:14 CEST 2018

I wonder whether there is a dialect difference.  To me "He is done
working on that" feel a bit strained and examples of the form:

done VVG

with the quasi-aspectual reading we're talking about are rather rare in
the BNC - I counted 3 altogether (but I wasn't being very careful).  I
found more examples without a complement, though it's not very common.
It's fine for me in contexts like:

   The meal was great.  When they were done, they had coffee.

where there's no explicit verb.  I think this may only work in cases
where there's a fairly clear telic role (as in Pustejovsky) or some
other conventionalized situation, but then that'd be expected on
pragmatic grounds.

Ann